was founded in September 1946 as Simmons Diesel
Company, selling and servicing Frick Sawmill equipment. Located
on Highway 15 North in Walterboro, South Carolina, the company
had three employees: Marion R. Simmons, Sr., Marion R. Simmons,
Jr. (a fighter pilot just out of the Army Air Corps) and a
In the early 1950's, other product lines were
added such as McCulloch chain saws, Massey-Ferguson Tractors
and various other farm equipment.
In 1959, Simmons Diesel began installing irrigation
systems, primarily on golf courses. By the late 1960's, irrigation
contracting was the leading division of the company and the
farm related products were phased out.
In 1972, the company acquired a Master Turf
Distributorship from Rain Bird and began selling as well as
installing irrigation products throughout North and South
Carolina from its Walterboro location.
To address the growth of the landscaping industry,
branch offices were established in Hilton Head, SC in 1984,
Myrtle Beach, SC in 1985, Charlotte, NC in 1986, Charleston,
SC and Wilmington, NC in 1988, Greenville, SC in 1994, Columbia,
SC in 1997, Raleigh, NC in 2002, and Savannah, GA in 2008.
In 1986, Simmons Irrigation Supply, Inc.was
named the exclusive Rain Bird Golf Distributor for both Carolinas
and the installation division was phased out after having
installed over 100 golf course systems since 1959.
Simmons Irrigation Supply, Inc. now employs
over 50 employees in its ten offices and outside sales.